Monday, July 7, 2014



Hello CAHU members and welcome to my first blog as your 2014-2015 President.  As an introduction to those who do not know me well, I have an insurance agency in Oakland, have been in the business of health insurance for 26 years, and have been involved in the Health Underwriters for 10 years.   For the past few years I have been heavily involved in CAHU’s legislative program.

As I sit to write my first President’s blog, my thoughts turn to the guy who has been doing this for the past year – Sam Smith.  I marvel at Sam’s professionalism as we went through the last year – probably the hardest year for agents in our line of business, ever.  Sam dealt with the thousands of calls and notes from frustrated agents and brokers over the past year, he navigated the tough political waters of Covered California, the Department of Insurance, and the California Legislature.  And I am thankful that he was there for CAHU and all of us this past year to deal with all of the   Selfish, I know! 

In fact, there are a number of unsung hero’s of CAHU that I want to bring to the attention of our membership.  Our legislative advocates – Mike Belote and Juli Broyles – have been working on our behalf tirelessly for the past four years bringing CAHU to a new level of respect and functionality in Sacramento.  There is not a committee meeting or Covered California session that our advocates are not there representing Health Insurance Agents in a professional manner, driving home our vision. 

More CAHU heroes:  our Past Presidents – especially those who have served since ACA was voted into existence – Dan Webb, Linda Rose Koehler, and Chuck Rosen – along with Sam Smith – have been instrumental in positioning agents and CAHU for continued success under the new ACA regime.  It has been a difficult task but they set a successful pathway for agents going forward. For example, agents are paid commissions for placing business in the Exchanges--which was not necessarily a given fact four years ago.  We have an agent contract that respects vesting.  We have had major legislative and policy leaders at the state and federal level give strong public acknowledgment and support that agents continue to be the key piece to the efficient, cost-effective distribution of insurance products.  So CAHU members have a lot to be thankful for as we move forward.

That being said, going forward the CAHU Board has new issues to prepare for.  Specifically, we are in the process of gearing up to fight what may well be the most corrosive initiative for health care since single-payer.  I am talking about California’s November ballot measure -- Proposition 45 Approval of Healthcare Insurance Rate Changes (aka Rate Regulation) -- which essentially gives total control to the insurance commissioner for regulation of rates, benefit plans, and spending control of the insurance companies that operate in the state, including those who file under the Department of Managed Health Care. 

The devastating impact of Prop 45 could not be more severe for our clients.  Already, insurance companies are operating under the MLR standard – meaning that profits are already capped and excess must be rebated back to consumers.  Prop 45’s real impact will be to reduce services to our clients and consumers through fewer providers willing to be in networks because their rates of reimbursement can be reduced, place earned commission payments to agents at risk of political manipulation, and force changes to benefit plan structures to whatever the sitting insurance commissioner or an outside intervenor–– desires at the moment.  

Like many laws in California, the main beneficiary, should voters pass Prop 45, are the “intervenors” who most likely are trial lawyers – who will be suing (i.e., “intervening”) to in rate filings – supposedly to reduce rates.  However, the “consumer group” that supports the initiative is the exact same one that has been paid over 80 percent of all “intervenor” payments—literally millions of dollars from intervener suits against insurance companies on the P&C side under Prop 103.

Over the next few months, CAHU will be asking our members this year to step up and fight this.  It is true Prop 45 will not lead to all insurance companies left in California if the initiative does pass -- but I can guarantee you that there will be far fewer health insurance companies doing business in California if it does.

From a national perspective, CAHU’s battle against Proposition 45 has been enthusiastically embraced from the National Chapter.  NAHU has agreed to provide matching funds to our independent expenditure PAC.  While CAHU must provide the other half of the funding – I believe it we will make our fundraising goals with the generosity of the CAHU members who understand that Proposition 45 is a killer to our industry and to our customers.

Also, California members that attended the NAHU annual convention, learned about recent actions in Washington, D,C., met up with old friends and made many new ones -- a good time in all respects. 

CAHU once again had the largest delegation, and brought home a number of awards, including: Most New Members for Largest State Chapter; Web Site; and Landmark!  Sam Smith also received a much deserved Presidential Citation.  Also, Linda Rose Koehler, a former California President, has been elected Region VII Vice President.  Congratulations to Linda Rose!

As I sign off, let me thank those who supported me during my years in the association.  I also want to let you all know that I will do my best to represent our members this year the best way that I know how. 

 I firmly believe that CAHU and NAHU are the best way for health insurance agents in California and across the country to impact our business in a positive and significant way.  As with most things, the more effort and time you put in, the more you are sure to get out of that effort.  That is why I hope you will consider participating with CAHU a little more this year than last – I absolutely know it will be worth it.  Agents Are the Answer.

Here’s to a great year!

Patrick Burns
comments@cahu.org