On this last day of my presidency, I want to thank all of the
CAHU members who have made this last year so enjoyable for me. A ton of people came together in what is only
described as an act of kindness to manage a purely volunteer association which
does so much -- for so many.
I especially want to thank the CAHU board, who worked so
hard this year – we had Proposition 45, the second year of the
California Exchange, a host of legislation and other issues that CAHU deals
with – and the board performed exceptionally well.
I want to take the time to particularly thank Neil Crosby,
the longest serving member of the CAHU board – at 18 years – who has finally
decided to hang up his spurs. Neil, for
so long, has done such an outstanding job and gives so much that we started to
take him for granted. He is an example
of the kind of people that make this organization so special.
Moving into a leadership role in the Health Underwriters Association can
be a daunting process – if you have never served on a board before you might
have some nerves about stepping up. My
advice is -- do it anyway. The growth potential of being in an
association leadership role is huge. I
have learned so much over the past years working at my local and state chapter levels
– I truly believe that my business is so much better than it ever would have
been had I not become involved.
So please volunteer to serve on your local board.
If you have been a member for 20 years but have never served, now is the
time. If you are a first year member, we
want you to serve. Join a committee. If you think your state or local chapter is doing a bad job –
then it is the perfect time for you to serve. We definitely want you to sign
up and give us your thoughts (and time and efforts). Every member of the association should try to
give some time at some point in their career.
The association is one that is there for members. I am proud to say that we have two stepping up – both members for over 20 years – to become President and
President Elect – Michael Lujan and Rick Coburn respectively. Both are going to be a huge asset to our
organization – the future of CAHU is bright.
We have some excellent programs and changes coming over the next few
years to make our members the best trained, most effective health insurance
agents in the business. I am thrilled to
be leaving the organization in such good hands.
So once again, thank you for putting your trust in me.
Patrick Burns
President
2014-2015
2014-2015