I
am proud to have known many of our CAHU members for several years. For those I
have not met or don’t know as well, I wanted to share my message for the
coming year and share some insight about me and my background. I started
my insurance career in 1985, working as a claims examiner for a large TPA in
Calabasas. There, I learned the basics of health insurance and what it means to
have quality coverage through a licensed insurance agent. Impressed by
the knowledgeable benefits professionals, I got licensed in 1988 and
began my insurance agent career with the help of a mentor who suggested I
attend a LAAHU meeting to learn more about being a good agent. As a new agent,
that was the best career advice I would ever receive.
Over
the next 15 years as an agent and general agent, I credit most of what I
learned about our industry to my LAAHU/CAHU membership and great leaders
like John Nelson, Don Goldmann and Dorothy Cociu. I also
had the pleasure of working for Alan Katz and Heide Striegel at
Centerstone/BenefitMall where Barry Fisher, Bruce Benton and Sam Smith had
offices just down the hall (also where I met my wife Marnee). I was later
privileged to serve as LAAHU Membership Chair and worked with Neil Crosby at
LISI until I relocated to Northern California to run Small Group Sales for
Blue Shield of CA and joined SVAHU. That was 12 years ago. During
that time I got to know and become friends with Chuck Rosen, Dan Webb, Pat
Burns, Juan Lopez, Anthony Halby, Dave Fear Sr. and Linda Rose Koehler. I share
this to say how fortunate I am to have a close connection to many of CAHU’s
past leaders and help continue a proud history of serving our members and an
industry I truly love.
That
responsibility has never been more important or closely scrutinized by our
members, and for good reason. Agents are under extreme pressure to
respond or adapt to unprecedented legislative and market changes
which threaten our professional livelihood. Now, more than ever, agents need
strong advocacy and support from their association and I am grateful for
the opportunity to lead an association whose done so much for me. CAHU will
continue to fight against bad legislation, like Proposition 45 (Rate
Regulation). I was so proud to see our members rally to defeat
this dangerous ballot initiative. While that work was important, it
took much of our time and resources so we are finalizing our 2015-16 strategic
plan to finish that unfinished work during my term as President. We will
post the details once the plan is official.
I
am just today returning from the NAHU Annual Convention in New Orleans. It was
a great four days of professional development, networking and awards.
CAHU was well-represented with the most delegates and between state and local chapters -- also earned
20 awards. CAHU is especially proud of Dave Fear Sr.
for his selection of the Harold R. Gordon Memorial Award. We also welcomed
Donald Goldmann as the new NAHU President - another proud achievement
for California.
We
are an association that listens to our members. Our members have expressed open frustration with a number of
issues, including abrupt changes to agent agreements and untenable agent
compensation. As an association of agents, we must support and advocate for our
members with meaningful solutions and help promote the value of agents.
California consumers are best served when they have unimpeded access to
licensed agents when shopping for coverage and the year-round service
that follows. Licensed agents continue to be the preferred choice of millions
of Californians enrolling both on and off-exchange, and agent compensation must
fairly support this valued work. CAHU will continue our tireless support of the
consumers right to be served by licensed professionals and advocate for
fairness in all areas that affect agents ability to serve their clients. We
are fortunate to have Juli Broyles and Mike Belote as our legislative
advocates. CAHU’s voice has never been more respected and prominent than it is
today, due in great part to their influence and respected presence in the
State Capitol. CAHU holds ourselves accountable to our members will improve
both our support of agents and how we report our progress to our members.
Please continue to share your feedback and consider serving in a local
board or committee role. We truly need your help.
I
will close my first message by saying again how proud I am to serve as CAHU
President. This truly is an honor I fully intend to live up to by doing my
absolute best to support agents. I am grateful for Pat Burns’ leadership
and friendship. Congratulations to Rick Colburn, CAHU President Elect. We
have a strong and passionate Board of Directors who share a commitment to
strengthen our association and be responsible stewards on behalf of
our members. On their behalf, we thank you for your support and hope you
will consider what you can do to help make CAHU an even
greater association.
That
work starts today.
Michael Lujan, RHU, CHRS
President 2015 - 2016
comments@cahu.org
![]() |
| L-R: CAHU 2015-2016 President Michael Lujan; NAHU CEO Janet Trautwein; CAHU Immediate Past President Patrick Burns |
![]() |
| CAHU 2015-2016 Board Members (L-R): Fear, Jr.; Burns; Berger; Lujan; Coburn; Jensen; Gussin Not pictured: Davis; Lopez; Neace; Guzman |

